Replace your Logbook

Before the sale, establish your ownership of the vehicle and prove its legitimacy. If you are the registered keeper of the car but have misplaced the V5C, you can obtain a duplicate V5C from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). This can be done by completing a V62 form and paying a fee. If you recently purchased the vehicle and the V5C has not yet been transferred to your name, you should contact the previous owner and request their assistance in obtaining the necessary documentation.

What if I Don't Have a V5C Logbook?

Selling a car without the proper paperwork, specifically the V5C, can present challenges and raise concerns among potential buyers. Regardless of the reasons behind not having a V5C, it is generally not recommended to proceed with selling the vehicle without it. Both private individuals and professional car buyers may view the absence of a V5C with suspicion.

Why can’t I sell my car without a V5C?

The lack of a V5C logbook can lead buyers to question the car's history, raising concerns about potential issues such as theft or previous write-offs. By not waiting for a replacement document, it may give the impression that you are in a rush to sell the car, further fueling buyer scepticism.

Can I scrap my car without a V5C?

While it may not be a legal requirement to have a V5C logbook when selling your car to a scrap buyer, it is highly recommended to have proper documentation in place, even for end-of-life vehicles. Although you can notify the DVLA online in this case, scrap metal dealers generally prefer to have the necessary paperwork to ensure a smooth transaction.

Ready to sell your car?

Once you have got your V5C ready, you’ll probably be on the lookout for a smooth selling experience. Opt for Sell 2 Swansway for a competitive price, a smooth selling experience, fast payment to your bank account, and convenient collections. Start your car valuation process here.



Share this article

You May Also Like...