The Audi TT is a sports car that was first launched in 1998. The first Audi TT was a coupe, and a little under a year later, a roadster was released. Each of the three generations since have offered both coupe and roadster versions.
The first generation of the TT had few options, other than the release of a limited-edition TT quattro sport. The second generation offered many more versions, including:
● 2.0 TDI quattro. The first diesel Audi TT.
● TTS. The first TT S-model, offering higher performance.
● TT RS. Another higher performance model.
● TT S-Line. Offering the mechanical features of the TT with the aesthetic features of the TT RS.
The Audi TT RS became Audi’s first ever compact sports car when it was launched in 2009. Like other Audi TTs, the RS was offered as both a coupe and roadster. Over time, the RS has come to offer more powerful engine options, as well as further interior and exterior customizations with all the latest and greatest technology and features.
Buying a used TT RS is one of the most affordable ways to get behind the wheel of a stylish sports car. Because it has so many different options, you’re sure to find the model that’s the right fit for you. If you’re considering looking at a used TT RS, ask yourself the following questions:
● Do I want a coupe or a roadster? Your climate will probably influence which of these options you go for, as roadsters have convertible, open tops which are great for the warmer months while a coupe performs better in colder climates. Those with families will probably need something more practical than a coupe or a roadster; in this case, you’d do better with the Audi A4 Avant.
● What type of fuel do I want it to run on? Both the second and third generation Audi TT RS come with petrol and diesel engines. However, keep in mind that there are less engine options for diesel. How much power you want will determine the fuel type you need.
● Is front-wheel or all-wheel drive best for me? Again, this will depend on your climate. If you live somewhere that gets snow or has rougher terrain, you’ll probably want the quattro four-wheel drivetrain.
● Which type of transmission do I want? The only transmission option for the quattro four-wheel drive is the 7-speed automatic, but earlier models offer manual.
Second generation (8J)
The Audi TT RS made its debut in 2006, during the second generation (2006 to 2014) of the Audi TT. The TT RS boasted a 2.5-liter Inline-5 turbocharged engine and offered quattro four-wheel drive. The first TT RS only had a six-speed manual transmission, but the 2010 RS and later came with the option of a 7-speed automatic transmission. If you’re looking for something with a little more power, the TT RS Plus from 2012 on has an upgraded engine with 355 hp.
The exterior styling of the vehicle is sporty, with 18-inch wheels as standard, but 19- and 20-inch wheels optional. All models come with a rear spoiler that is either fixed or retractable. The interior is just as sporty as the exterior, with black, heated leather seats (with the option of bucket seats) and a sport button.
Third generation (FV/8S)
If you’re looking for a TT RS for sale that’s only a few years old, you’ll be happy to find out that the third generation has continued from 2014 to the present. This generation is built on the Volkswagen Group MQB Platform and made major changes to the HVAC design, with temperature controls in the center of the air vents themselves. These newer versions of the RS also offer more options in terms of electronics and technology, so if you’re looking for a backup camera and a first class sound system, the third generation is the way to go.
This generation comes with two engine options:
● TSFI (quattro all-wheel drive). The 2.5-litre TFSI engine produces 394 hp.
● TDI (front-wheel drive). The diesel engine option.
Automatic transmission is now the only available option, so if you’re looking for a manual, you’ll have to get an earlier model. Unfortunately, Audi recently announced that they do not have plans to release a fourth generation of the TT, so a used TT RS will soon be the only choice for consumers.
At Swansway Audi, we offer a wide range used Audis. If you’re looking for a second hand TT RS, or want to know more about the vehicle, contact us today and a member of our knowledgeable and friendly team will be happy to help you out.