Over the years, there has been a growing concern about air pollution all over the world, especially in large cities. The UK took a step to address this problem by introducing the Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) in London. ULEZ aims to reduce air pollution by discouraging the use of vehicles with high emissions. If you own a car and want to enter the ULEZ zone without paying any penalty, you might ask, "Can I make my car ULEZ compliant?" The answer is yes, you can. Keep reading to find out how.

Check Your Car Emissions

The first step to making your car ULEZ compliant is to check its emissions. You can find out the emission standards your car must meet by checking its registration document. If you are not sure about the emission standards, you can use the Transport for London (TfL) ULEZ Checker, which tells you if your car meets ULEZ standards or not. If it does not, do not worry; there are other steps you can take.

Upgrade Your Catalytic Converter or add a filter

A catalytic converter is a device in your car that converts harmful gases into less harmful ones. If your car’s catalytic converter is faulty or worn out, it may not meet ULEZ standards.

Upgrading your vehicle can help you meet the zone requirements. However, keep in mind that these modifications can be quite costly, and you'll also need to have your vehicle re-certified by the DVSA at your own cost.

Afterward, notify the DVLA and local authorities to avoid any surprise Penalty Charge Notices. It might be more cost-effective to sell your car and buy a ULEZ complaint one instead.

Change Your Car

If your car does not meet ULEZ standards, you may want to consider changing your car. There are many low-emission cars available in the market, including hybrids and electric cars. While buying a new car may seem expensive, it saves you money in the long run as you avoid daily ULEZ fees as well electric and hybrid cars being more cost-effective to run.

Plan Your Route

If you cannot upgrade your car or buy a new one, you can still avoid ULEZ fees by planning your route. Use the TfL ULEZ Checker to find the ULEZ zone boundaries and plan your journey to avoid the zone. This may not be a permanent solution, but it can help you save money in the short term.

Thinking of switching to a cleaner vehicle?

If you want to make the step to becoming an electric vehicle driver, make life easier for yourself and sell your current car easily and for a great price with Sell 2 Swansway.

Part of the esteemed Swansway Motor Group, we’ve made selling your car easier and more convenient than ever before. With accurate quotes representative of current market trends, you’ll never get less than you deserve for your car.

So, for a 7-day guaranteed car valuation, hassle-free collection, and instant payment to your bank account once we’ve got your car, it’s never been a better time to sell your car with Sell 2 Swansway.



Share this article

You May Also Like...