Sandbach Rugby Club Sponsorship

Crewe Audi are delighted to be sponsoring the Sandbach Rugby Club 2nd team this year.

Sandbach RUFC, formally known as Old Sandbachians RUFC (after Sandbach School for Boys), was formed in 1936 but became defunct during World War II. The Club reformed in 1956 and used one of the Sandbach School’s rugby pitches on which to play home games. Local premises near to the school playing fields were used as changing rooms and the Iron Grey, a local pub, was used as a base for after match hospitality. Old boys from Sandbach School were encouraged back to the game and the Club grew from strength to strength.

In 1960 the Club became open, admitting non-old boys and in May 1961 a piece of land on Middlewich Road which backed onto Sandbach School premises was purchased and the first Clubhouse was built. In the summer of 1980 Old Sandbachians moved from Middlewich Road to Bradwell Road where a new Clubhouse and pitches had been developed. By the start of season 1981/82 the Club had changed its name from Old Sandbachians to Sandbach Rugby Club leaving no doubt to everyone that we existed as a completely open club.

Sandbach has a rich history of producing top quality players and over the past 20 years the Mini/Junior section has produced a steady stream of top flight players. In the spring of 2012, Premiership side, Sale Sharks featured no fewer than FIVE ex-Sandbach lads in a Premiership game against Wasps. In 2011, Sandbach became a CASC (Community Amateur Sports Club), reaffirming their principles of not paying players and staying true to their vision of the sport they love.

Sandbach 1st XV now play in the 5th tier of English rugby in national league 3 and, last season, the 2nd XV were promoted to the premier league for second teams in the north west. The mini/junior section has over 400 young players (with more than 50 RFU qualified coaches) and the touch rugby sessions have a growing following.